Migrate from RedHat to Debian

Hi List,

I've been using RedHat for a couple of years. Now, as a result of their change in EOL (only untill the end of year for the latest release RedHat 8.0) I want to switch to another distro. My preference goes to Debian. I do have some doubts before really switching.

How long are Debian-releases supported (okay, with 'open' software you can compile/write your own upgrades but that's not an option)? I know they use an equivalent system to the rpm-system. How long are releases supported through these deb-packages. And before some-one states the obvious...yes I do install the kernel and the 'main' daemons from source (like Apache, Postfix, Squid, DJBDNS, Iptables,Snort) but I prefer to upgrade 'minor' things trough the concept of packages from the distro.

What are the experiences other people have with migrating from RedHat to Debian. Are there any other options as a distro (I'm looking for a distro with security written in bold)?

Greetings,

Jim

Chat with your online buddies with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.be