Re: HP 8250i cd-writer

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:00:57AM +0100, Frank Lenaerts wrote:
> > I don't remember what the minimum it will write is. I think that when I
> > was doing some reseach in to a similar problem I found that it's
> > probably a firmware bug, but people very rarely run in to it because
> > the
>
> The HP site however doesn't have a firmware upgrade for this type of writer.

I don't think HP ever released any updates to fix this problem on any of
the drives. The number of people who would run in to it was very, very
small, so they figured it wasn't worthwhile. To further complicate
matters, HP did like most companies do and just OEM'd their production
out to whoever gave them the best deal, so different 8200-series drives
can be made by different companies even though they have the same model
number. Some used Sony mechanisms, those tend to work fine but have that
firmware bug. Some used mechanisms from another company, which
supposedly have other problems too. Since taking out that short track
doesn't help you, it sounds like you're not seeing the same problem I
did.

> > limit is so small.
>
> What do you mean with "the limit"?

I meant the lower limit on track size, how small the track had to be to
cause a problem.

--
Michael Heironimus