Re: Alas and alack.

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Brian Masinick wrote:

> others are not handled very well at all.  I'd argue that the Debian
> approach DOES make updates available about as well as it can be done
> (with reliable, tested fixes, not just some quick, ugly hacks).  Other

So the real problem is not having Freely avaliable configuration
consistency monitoring tools and agents with policy set by humans to
assist administrators, I think.  That sound about right?  Having things
like RHN but engineered and given away for Free in the hope that it might
improve the security of the platform?

Microsoft does, in its credit, allow people to hit the 'upgrade my box for
me forever' button for the non-paranoid.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/