Re: what's fstype 83? "Linux"?

will trillich said:

> files on /dev/hdb2 have modification times no later than
> september 2000 -- pre-ext3 by a long shot. and i'm *positive*
> i've never even tried reiserfs, certainly not two-and-a-half
> years ago. wasn't ext2 the default for formatting under the
> potato or slink install? (as i recall, potato would start out as
> ext2 and then offered an ext3 option later... nope, ext3 didn't
> work either.)

Before reiserfs, jfs, xfs, and ext3 the only filesystem I ever saw
supported was ext2 going back to my first slackware 3.2 install in '96.
there was the UMSDOS stuff too, but I never knew anyone that used it,
and that resided on a fat partition anyways.

> racking my brain (what there is left of it) i stir no memory of
> anything unusual, file-system-wise. i'm just about certain that
> all three of these partitions would be the same file system.
>
> yet /dev/hdb2 mounts like a charm.

I'd try what another poster suggested, try the debian slink rescue disks.
or just format it and forget about it, if you haven't needed the data
on that disk for 2 years you probably won't miss anything :)

nate