Re: Mysterious disk activity

Ron Johnson said:

> Leave it on, and fall quickly to sleep listening to white noise,
> while lowering the house's thermostat, since you have an auxillary heater
> in the room.

I like white noise, but unfortunately not all computers emit such
noise. my tivo is one, as is my laptop, I gotta turn on a powerful
fan at night to drown out the tivo, which has 2 drives in it, at least
one of them has gotten to the 'soft but piercing whine' point where
I have trouble sleeping. Doesn't compare to my laptop, it's about 10x
louder :(

just gotta have enough fans to offset the whine. Used to have my redhat
server in my bedroom, but it too was too loud with 5 x 10k RPM drives,
the whine was loud despite 3x30CFM fans and my floor fan running. but
in my living room I can barely hear the whine, since there are about 7
other computers running at any given time with lots more fans, my 48port
switch's fans are really loud and do a good job at generating white noise,
one time last year when a friend came in from outta town I actually slept
next to my rack so he could have my bedroom for the night, wasn't too
bad since there was so many fans(with all of em maybe 250CFM total)

I ordered a new laptop HD which should get here tomorrow which should
solve the laptop problem and triple my space at the same time :)

nate