Re: Fwd: getting postfix + sasl to work

also sprach Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> [2003.01.27.1943 +0100]:
> | postfix/smtpd[18838]: warning: SASL authentication problem: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory
> | postfix/smtpd[18838]: warning: SASL authentication problem: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory
>
> I remember seeing mention of this somewhere.  I think it is the sasl
> library that is requiring write access to that file so it can store
> secrets and stuff there.  It is only needed under some setups, though.

what??? the sasl library stores secrets???

> | postfix/smtpd[18838]: warning: SASL authentication failure: no secret in database
> | postfix/smtpd[18838]: warning: dclient217-162-113-106.hispeed.ch[217.162.113.106]: SASL CRAM-MD5 authentication failed
>
> I haven't tried using CRAM-MD5

what do you use?

> I think this is why.  I think the saslauthd is what wants to write to
> /etc/sasldb2.

then it would not be postfix/smtpd causing the log entry...

> # ==========================================================================
> # service type	private	unpriv	chroot	wakeup	maxproc	command + args
> # 		(yes)	(yes)	(yes)	(never)	(100)
> # ==========================================================================
> smtp2	  inet	n	-	-	-	-	smtpd
>
> (smtp2 is defined as port 2525 in /etc/services since exim still owns
> port 25, see below for that explanation)

so you have a chrooted smtpd, your passwd file in
/etc/passwd/dman/passwd and a pam file /etc/pam.d/smtp and you are
saying that SASL-AUTH works for you? how could it???

--
Please do not CC me! Mutt (www.mutt.org) can handle this automatically.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc