Re: Debian 3.0r_0 setup - lots of questions

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:21:33PM +0000, sonali wrote:
> I installed the base system from the Debian 3.0r_0 CD and
> installed X-windows, and lots of other packages via apt-get
> from stable. Now, I am behind a http proxy and cannot access
> everything properly. My current problems are:
>
> 1. apt-spy does not run from behind the http proxy to setup
> a good sources.list. Right now, I am using
> mirrors.kernel.org, which is not very fast

Have you a default route to the proxy?  On my systems I set the default
route to the proxy.

> 2. I can access www via a browser like say mozilla/galeon
> using the http proxy config in teh Advanced tab...but can't
> browse using links, etc. How do i tunnel other apps through
> the http proxy?

Well, in links, in the setup menu, select network options and enter in
your proxy information.  After that, save your configuration.

[...]
> So, mostly these doubts about accessing the internet. Also,
> is it a good idea to stick to "stable" and not use testing
> and unstable? "stable" has old versions of most packages
> that I use on a workstation, so what is the best way to use
> new versions of packages? And can someone please mail me a
> good sources.list offlist?

I use unstable, but unstable will occasionally have problems.  Until you
feel ready to deal with them, you should probably stick to stable or
testing.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com