Re: cdrecord and BIG DISKS - Might help someone

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 21:47, csj@mindgate.net wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:28:16 -0800,
> Marc Wilson wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 01:34:17AM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > > cdrecord -v -speed=32 dev=x,y,z -dao -isosize filename.raw
> >
> > The hitch was the instruction to cdrecord to write the disc in
> > DAO mode.  Many many recorders cannot deal with the CUE sheet
> > they're sent in DAO mode unless they're told the total size of
> > the image.
>
> What works for me is option "-ignsize":

Hmmm, interesting.

> echo "burn 800MB" ; cdrecord -v dev=lite8 -dao -ignsize cdrom.iso
>
> > Your original write blew up because the largest disc that can
> > be encoded in the ATIP is 700 mb.  Anything larger is an
> > overburn, and you're right back to the CUE sheet problem again.
> >
> > I've got three recorders... one NEC, two LiteOn.  The NEC won't
> > overburn no matter what you do, one of the LiteOn's doesn't
> > care and just does whatever you tell it, and the other LiteOn
> > has the CUE sheet thing.  Frustrating.
>
> I can live with something that behaves predictably.

And that produces media that can be freely shared between friends
w/o having to worry if they have a compatible CD drive.

This kinda reminds me of when early 1.2MB floppys had trouble reading
360KB floppys formatted/written to by other 1.2MB floppys.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |