Re: Some package questions

also sprach Joakim Hove <j.hove@online.no> [2003.01.27.1258 +0100]:
>  1. Say (for instance) I want to remove kde completely from my box, if
>     I then try for instance:
>
>       bash% dpkg -P kdelibs3
>
>     there is no end to the failing dependencies, and not is
>     removed. Is it possible to "turn this around", and say: "remove
>     kdelibs3 *and* all the packages which will depend on this
>     package"? That would be a very potent (and dangerous probably) way
>     of removing things!

Of course there is. Either you should just use aptitude as a really
cool graphical frontend with a very smooth learning curve, and with
all possibilities, or you use apt-get:

  apt-get remove --purge kdelibs3

>  2. I have read that the debian packages do not contain version
>     numbers from the packaged software. However for instance emacs
>     exists as both emacs20 and emacs21 packages, does that imply that
>     to debians packagesystem these two packages are *completely
>     unrelated*, and as a corollary there is no (debian) ugrade route
>     from the 20.xx versions of emacs to the 21.xx versions?

Correct. I don't know why. It always struck me as really ugly. Then
again I never really cared for emacs anyway.

--
Please do not CC me! Mutt (www.mutt.org) can handle this automatically.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc