Some package questions

Hello Debian Masters,

I have just switched RedHat -> Debian, and so far I must say I am *very
pleased* with the conversion, mostly due to the packaging, I never
really got allong with RPM. However I still do have some (small ?)
questions about packages:

 1. Say (for instance) I want to remove kde completely from my box, if
    I then try for instance:

      bash% dpkg -P kdelibs3

    there is no end to the failing dependencies, and not is
    removed. Is it possible to "turn this around", and say: "remove
    kdelibs3 *and* all the packages which will depend on this
    package"? That would be a very potent (and dangerous probably) way
    of removing things!

 2. I have read that the debian packages do not contain version
    numbers from the packaged software. However for instance emacs
    exists as both emacs20 and emacs21 packages, does that imply that
    to debians packagesystem these two packages are *completely
    unrelated*, and as a corollary there is no (debian) ugrade route
    from the 20.xx versions of emacs to the 21.xx versions?

Well, thanks for any comments.

Joakim

--
Joakim Hove Stabburveien 18 5231 Paradis 55 91 28 18