Re: Some package questions

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 05:58, Joakim Hove wrote:
> Hello Debian Masters,
>
> I have just switched RedHat -> Debian, and so far I must say I am *very
> pleased* with the conversion, mostly due to the packaging, I never
> really got allong with RPM. However I still do have some (small ?)
> questions about packages:

We all did, when first coming over from The Dark Side...

[snip]
>  2. I have read that the debian packages do not contain version
>     numbers from the packaged software. However for instance emacs
>     exists as both emacs20 and emacs21 packages, does that imply that
>     to debians packagesystem these two packages are *completely
>     unrelated*, and as a corollary there is no (debian) ugrade route
>     from the 20.xx versions of emacs to the 21.xx versions?

Two big friends of yours:
# apt-cache search <regex-pattern>
# apt-cache show <package-name>

"apt-cache show" will show you info like Dependencies, Conflicts, and
Suggests.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |