aptitude is being too smart

i have the following packages being held at the indicated versions in
aptitude. the last column indicates the next available version:

  libgtk2.0-0          2.0.9-1     2.2.0-2
  libgtk2.0-common     2.0.6-3     2.2.0-2
  libpango1.0-0        1.0.5-4     1.2.0-3
  libpango1.0-common   1.0.4-2     1.2.0-3

I want to update them to the new version numbers.

When I select libgtk2.0-common and tell aptitude to upgrade to
2.2.0-2, the other three packages are also identified by aptitude as
upgrade candidates ('iu', and cyan coloured).

However, when I then press 'g', aptitude steps in and tries to be
smart:

  Some packages were broken and have been fixed [OK]

It took me a while to figure out that this is because libgtk-common
2.2.0 has not been uploaded to unstable yet. Is there an easier way to
detect the actual reason of aptitude's absolutely useless message?

--
Please do not CC me! Mutt (www.mutt.org) can handle this automatically.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc