Re: "debian rookie" trying to get his bearings...

    "Ron" == Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

    Ron> On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 18:24, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
    >> "David" == David Z Maze <David> writes:

    David> Probably the easiest way is to 'rm /etc/rc2.d/S20apache',
    David> etc. as root.

    >>  IMHO this is almost the Debian Way to do this. I would
    >> actually suggest 'mv /etc/rc2.d/S20apache /etc/rc2.d/K20apache'
    >> and so on for each service you want to shutdown in runlevel 2.

    Ron> The Unix Way is to rename S20apache to K20apache.  That way,

Yes, that is certainly the Unix Way (and the Right Way (tm)). I was
being too subtle for my own good: by using the term "Debian Way" I
actually wanted to say "do not use update-rc.d to remove or modify the
links, just mv (rename) the files."

There is a common misconception that files in /etc/rc?.d/ must only be
handled via update-rc.d. I'm not sure where that comes from but a
*lot* of people make that assumption.

Cheers!
Shyamal