Re: CPU usage on debian (was: Re: Memory usage on debian)

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 12:20:56AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:21:12PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > On a sort of related point... writing a CD (at 28x), top shows 80-85%
> > system CPU usage. That's with an Athlon 1800XP (1.53GHz). Feeling the
> > heatsink, however, it's running as cool as it usually does. I reckon
> > this must be because it's spending lots of time waiting on the IDE bus.
>
> Yes.  We recently went through a *very* long thread about IDE
> suckitude recently, specifically it's relationship to the RTC.  You
> might notice your RTC drift by several minutes when burning a CD.
>
> I wish I could find it in the archives, now...

I remember; it seemed to me to be all about the clock, and since I
don't much care about the clock as long as it doesn't go backwards, I
tended to skip it.

Now, I have a UDMA66 HD, which on buffered disk reads in hdparm -t
gives rates of about 28Mb/s, both with the onboard VIA controller and
a CMD680 PCI card. I also have a Quantum Viking 4.5 SCSI drive and
Initio INIC-950P (9100UW) SCSI card. This only gives me around 10Mb/s
in hdparm -t. Seems a bit slow to me. hdparm -T gives over 200Mb/s for
any drive.

Pigeon