Re: "debian rookie" trying to get his bearings...

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 18:24, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "David" == David Z Maze <David> writes:
>
>     David> "Jeff Hahn" <jeffh@gryphongardens.com> writes:
>     >> I'm setting up a "test" debian server (contemplating a move of
>     >> several redhat boxes)
>
>     >> One quick question to get me going a little better...  How do
>     >> you install services (apache, samba, whatever) and NOT have
>     >> them start on system startup?
>
>     David> Probably the easiest way is to 'rm /etc/rc2.d/S20apache',
>     David> etc. as root.
>
> IMHO this is almost the Debian Way to do this. I would actually
> suggest 'mv /etc/rc2.d/S20apache /etc/rc2.d/K20apache' and so on for
> each service you want to shutdown in runlevel 2.

The Unix Way is to rename S20apache to K20apache.  That way, you can
see what's been explicitly turned off, and you'll know that if it's
not in /etc/rc2.d/ then it hasn't been installed.

Remeber to also rename /etc/rc6.d/K??apache !!!

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |