"debian rookie" trying to get his bearings...

I'm setting up a "test" debian server (contemplating a move of several
redhat boxes)

I'm having a few problems dealing with the distribution differences.  I
assume I'll be able to work those out.

One quick question to get me going a little better...  How do you install
services (apache, samba, whatever) and NOT have them start on system
startup?

In RedHat, this is done with chkconfig.  I've got a number of services
installed that aren't configured and I certainly don't want them running at
startup.

If I see that blankety-blank GDM login on bootup again, I'll .............

Thanks a bunch for any help...

-Jeff