Re: Desktop productivity with Debian GNU/LINUX

on Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 01:53:34PM +1100, Russell (rjshaw@iprimus.com.au) wrote:
> Rohan Nicholls wrote:

<...>

> >This I have not tried, the company I work for, has the Office and Win2k
> >licenses so I have just used VMware and installed them.  It is a very
> >sweet system, and allows me to deal with testing, and certain work
> >related things where I need to work in a windows environment.
> >
> >The good part is it makes me appreciate linux even more, and I don't
> >have to do any rebooting to use it.:)
> >
> >Good luck with trying it out, and enjoy having windows when you need it
> >without having to leave linux.
>
> Thanks, it sounds promising. If i install win2k as the guest OS on vmware
> which is in turn installed on linux, is there a way to copy the whole win2k
> installation into vmware, or do i need to re-install everything again?

Current (3.x?) versions of VMWare allow the guest OS to be run directly
from an HD partition.  This lets you use your existing installation of
an OS without having to reinstall it specific to VMWare.

Note that you should, in general, avoid running a given installation in
both real and virtual instances.  In general, the fact that VMWare runs
with user privs means you won't do too much damage, though you certainly
can override these protections.

With MSFT OSs, you'll also want to select a HW profile specific to your
VMWare install if you plan on running the OS outside VMWare as well.
The HW configurations actually are different (VMWare runs with its own
set of virtual HW independent of what the devices are on your physical
system).  I don't know how XP registration affects this, but strongly
suspect that it does.

Peace.