Re: Desktop productivity with Debian GNU/LINUX

Russell said:

> Thanks, it sounds promising. If i install win2k as the guest OS on vmware
> which is in turn installed on linux, is there a way to copy the whole
> win2k installation into vmware, or do i need to re-install everything
> again?

you should reinstall everything again. VMWare has the ability to run
off a "raw" disk(I think IDE only..) which would technically allow you
to boot into the "Guest OS" on the real hardware(via dual boot) as well
as with vmware, but especially on MS systems I wouldn't reccomend it
since the virtual hardware provided by vmware is probably going to
be totally different then that provided by your real hardware wrecking
havok on the system.

now a linux system on the other hand could fairly easily be tuned to
work in both enviornments(X would be the only snag, but real easy to
work around). But even then I reccomend sticking to reinstalling in
the virtual enviornment and keeping it within vmware. You get the
bonus of being able to run the disk in undo mode, meaning your free
to screw the guest OS up all you want, power it off, power it on
again and it's instantly restored to the state of last power on,
very very handy!

I've been usin vmware on linux since they announced their first
beta, have run win95, win98, win2000, nt4, suse, corel, freebsd,
debian, solaris 7, redhat, and probably a couple other OSs on it
as well. always worked flawlessly for me.

nate