Problems running Gnome

Hello Everyone,

I am having some problems running Gnome. I have just built my new Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with Debian 3.0 and used the unstable tree for the install of packages. I know that the unstable tree is a moving target, but it has several things that I wanted (such as gnome 2).

Well, when I try to launch gnome using gdm, I get the following error in a popup window:

-----------------------
There was an error starting the GNOME Setting Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The Last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

When I click ok, I only get the desktop icons. I do not get the panel or anything else. I am able to left and middle click on the background to get the two associated menus.

Does anyone know what is going on and what I need to do to fix it and get a working version of gnome2?

Thanks

Chris