Re: Filesystem error?

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 05:45:46PM +0000, Paladin wrote:

> >  exotic tests that take a couple of hours to get to.  I cut back
> >  the cpu/memory speed in the BIOS and mine now runs solidly, but
>
> In the mean while, I ran memtest86 over night and it doesn't show
> any error report! I ran all the tests (more than one time I
> suppose, since it was running for a long time).
> I've changed my ext3 fs to reisersfs and still, when compiling on
> it, gcc crashes! The only partition that remains in ext3 is the /. I
> haven't had any idea of how to change it without loosing
> everything...

To change the BIOS settings that consider timing is imho a good
idea. I've experienced a similar problem once, when I changed from a
mixed setup with IDE and SCSI disks to SCSI disks only: After some
time, the system just completely freezed, whereby 'some time' could be
a few minutes up to several days of uptime. The freeze wasn't related
to any particular operation.

It was so annoying that I would have replaced the board, but it was at
some time shortly before xmas, and boards were sold out. Thus, I again
tried to change BIOS settings, and to my surprise, after changing some
DRAM timing setting, the system ran stable (and it still does).

That there's a relation to the FS being used in your case is possible
in the sense that obscure timing factors may cause you the
trouble. Maybe data is being delivered to gcc at another rate,
depending on the FS being used, thereby electrical signals are running
through your system in different patters. Thus, it may even be a
problem with the cables that would never show up when running memory
tests. The power supply being too weak or a loose contact is another
possibility.

Well, you may even try to choose the slowest memory settings your BIOS
allows and still encounter the same problem. There *may* be a BIOS
setting that helps, and the problem lies only in finding it --- but if
the problem persists, I'd consider to change the board, and be it only
to try if things improve on another board.

HTH!

GH