Re: Mounting partitions HELP

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Joris Huizer wrote:

> I've got the following situation:
>
> /dev/hda :
>  - windows stuff
>
> /dev/hdb :
>  - /dev/hdb1 : / (root)
>  - /dev/hdb2 : swap
>  - /dev/hdb3 : /boot NOT IN USE
>  - /dev/hdb4 : extended partition
>    - /dev/hdb5 : /home
>    - /dev/hdb6 : /usr
>
> I've got two questions:
>
> 1. How can I mount the /dev/hda ( the bootloader says
> /dev/hda1 ) (as root and/or as normal user) ?

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windoze
	and/or add to /etc/fstab
	and/or add to automounter if you dont want windoze
	to be always mounted

normally... you do not want a "normal user" to mount
stuff to the machine ...
   - if the "normal user" is you,
	you can use "sudo mount blah  /mnt/blah"
	or simply open up a root window

you cannot mount /dev/hda... you should mount /dev/hdaXX
( the partitions )

> 2. Is it possible to clean ("format", initialize) the
> /dev/hdb3 and set a new partition ( /tmp) there ?

if its not used ...

mke2fs /dev/hdb3   ( assuming nothing to save on /dev/hdb3 )
- addd /tmp into your /etc/fstab

- reboot or make sure /tmp and /boot is "correct"
	mount /dev/hdb3 /tmp
	chmod 1777 /tmp for good measure

/boot should be within the first 1024 cylinders
	- more /boot space means you can have more experimental kernels

> Oh, and what type should be used ? I think /tmp or
> /var but I don't know for sure.

nothing special for /var  permissions

c ya
alvin