Filesystem error?

Hi to all!

>From some time now I've been experiencing some problems with my
sarge debian box, ranging from gcc crashes (any of the three
versions I have installed), to corrupted files (in particular the
/var/dpkg/status), and I don't know how to discover where the
problem is! I've even used the memtest86 utility to see if it was a
problem in the motherboard (I have an ECS K7S5A and there are some
reports of bugs in it). As anyone experienced any kind of these
problmes?
I have kernel 2.4.20 installed, compiled and installed "by
hand". I'm using ext3 filesystems converted from ext2.

Thanks in advance for any advice/idea/opinion,

---
Paladin