Re: Filesystem error?

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 05:00:49PM +0000, Paladin wrote:
> From some time now I've been experiencing some problems with my sarge
> debian box, ranging from gcc crashes (any of the three versions I have
> installed), to corrupted files (in particular the /var/dpkg/status),
> and I don't know how to discover where the problem is! I've even used
> the memtest86 utility to see if it was a problem in the motherboard (I
> have an ECS K7S5A and there are some reports of bugs in it). As anyone
> experienced any kind of these problmes?

I have one of these boards and have problems with memory errors.  Have
you tried running a memory test (before booting, such as the one on the
Linux BBC) overnight?  Mine tends to fail on the more exotic tests that
take a couple of hours to get to.  I cut back the cpu/memory speed in
the BIOS and mine now runs solidly, but slower than spec.  Life is full
of tradeoffs -- this board was very inexpensive and for me it's still
fast enough.

--
Michael Epting (epting@ix.netcom.com)