Re: Mounting partitions HELP

Hello,

You're reply helped getting access to the windows
partition - but not yet on the /dev/hdb3

--- Seneca <seneca-cunningham@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 12:49:12AM -0800, Joris
> Huizer wrote:
> > /dev/hda :
> >  - windows stuff
> >
> > /dev/hdb :
> >  - /dev/hdb1 : / (root)
> >  - /dev/hdb2 : swap
> >  - /dev/hdb3 : /boot NOT IN USE
> >  - /dev/hdb4 : extended partition
> >    - /dev/hdb5 : /home
> >    - /dev/hdb6 : /usr
> >
> > I've got two questions:
> >
> > 1. How can I mount the /dev/hda ( the bootloader
> says
> > /dev/hda1 ) (as root and/or as normal user) ?
>
> If only as root,
>
>   # mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt
>
> If you also want ordinary users to be able to mount
> it, add it to your
> /etc/fstab (see mount(8) and fstab(5)).
>
>   /dev/hda1    /mnt    vfat    defaults,user,noauto
> 0  0

Cool this works very well

> > 2. Is it possible to clean ("format", initialize)
> the
> > /dev/hdb3 and set a new partition ( /tmp) there ?
> > I created during the first partition for redhat;
> It's
> > rather big as I didn't know a /boot should be
> small
> > and it was used to start the install of debian
> from
> > that partition.
>
> If /dev/hdb3 is not empty, move its contents to
> /boot on /dev/hdb1.
>
>   # umount /dev/hdb3
>   # mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb3 /mnt (change ext2 to the
> file system)
>   # cp -a /mnt /boot
>   # diff -r /mnt /boot (if contents match, continue)
>   # rm -f /mnt/*
>   # umount /mnt
>
> Now, /dev/hdb3 is empty.  You can then set it up as
> your new /tmp.
>
>   Add the following line to your /etc/fstab
> (changing ext2 if needed):
>     /dev/hdb3  /tmp  ext2
> defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  0
>   reboot
>
> > Oh, and what type should be used ? I think /tmp or
> > /var but I don't know for sure.
>
> /tmp and /var are not partition types.
>
> --
> Seneca
> seneca-cunningham@rogers.com

I don't know why, but if I do that I can't log in on a
X except the failsafe one... (the screen turns black
and then it goes back to the login screen again)

As I said I didn't use the /boot after the
installation - maybe I have to change other settings
also - or maybe it's a prob its bootable ?? I have no
idea what's causing this...