Re: getting time from timeserver on a dial-up

Kevin writes:
> What I'd like is for the machine to check and set (if necessary) the
> system clock based on the time from one of the many timeservers on the
> internet.

> What package do I need to do this?

Chrony.

> How do I make it autorun once pppd has got the ppp connection up and
> running (I use the pon script)

It does that by default.  You should edit /etc/chrony/chrony.conf and
select a timeserver near you (one belonging to your ISP if possible) but
chrony should work for you out of the box.

> Please don't read any further if you're offended by mailservers adding
> legalese to the bottom of eMails.. ;-)

I'm not offended by them, but I'm also not bound by their silly claims.
I'm occasionally tempted to call the phone number and say so.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)