Re: locales fr_CA

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 02:34, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Hey folks:
>
> I need to have a french locale installed for ht://Dig. I've installed it
> with dpkg-reconfigure locales. (I've even set it as the system default,
> I'm that desperate right now.) When I do locale -a it's listed; however,
> ht://dig needs a specific file that I can't find.
>
> Here are the instructions from the ht://dig site:
> Some systems, however, define only the accented letters used for a given
> language, so "your mileage may vary." The important thing is that the
> directory for your locale definition must  have a file named LC_CTYPE in
> it. For example, on many Linux distributions, a language-specific locale
> like fr won't contain this file, but country-specific locales like fr_FR
> or fr_CA will. If you don't find any appropriate locales installed on your
> system, try obtaining and installing the locale definition files from your
> OS distribution. Also, once you've set your locale, you need to reindex
> all your documents in order for the locale to take effect in the word
> database. This means rerunning the "rundig" script, or running "htdig -i"
> and htmerge (or htpurge in the 3.2 betas).
> http://htdig.org/FAQ.html#q4.10
>
> I've got fr_CA (it technically has an ISO well as part of the name, but I
> already know how to deal with that), but when I do updatedb I can't find a
> copy of LC_CTYPE.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Resources in French are
> welcome as well as English. (English is preferred.)
>
> emma
>
> --
> Emma Jane Hogbin
> [[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]

Typing:

$ locate LC_CTYPE

on my system yields:

/usr/lib/locale/ar_EG/LC_CTYPE
/usr/lib/locale/en_CA/LC_CTYPE
/usr/lib/locale/en_GB/LC_CTYPE
/usr/lib/locale/en_US/LC_CTYPE
/usr/lib/locale/fr_CA/LC_CTYPE
/usr/lib/locale/ru_RU/LC_CTYPE
/usr/lib/locale/ru_RU.koi8r/LC_CTYPE

(I have *reasons* for this eclectic selection - I have a couple friends
that have been using web-based email on my system in order to read email
in non-latin character sets - something they can't get Outlook to handle
consistently.)

Anyhow, hopefully you can find that everything is where it should be.

HTH
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org