Re: upgraded kernel to 2.4.20 and modules don't load

Hi,

Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:22:39AM +0100, Jaume Guasch wrote:
[...]
> > In general, for any kernel version, you need a modutils with the newest
> > possible modutils (but it can be modutils version <= kernel version).
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > modutils 2.4.15 (Debian stable) Need it for kernel >= 2.4.15, but won't
> >                                 work for kernel >= 2.4.19
> > modutils 2.4.19 (Debian testing) Need for kernel >= 2.4.19, but won't
> >                                 work for kernel >= 2.4.21
> > modutils 2.4.21 (Debian unstable) Need for kernel >= 2.4.21 (when it is
> >                                 released)
>
> Huh? I've got modutils 2.4.15 and it works with kernel 2.4.20 with no
> problems that I can see. Before that I was using modutils 2.4.6, also
> with 2.4.20. That worked too.

from kernel-source-2.4.20/Documentation/modules.txt (2nd paragraph):

---
Note: You should ensure that the modutils-X.Y.Z.tar.gz you are using
is the most up to date one for this kernel. The "X.Y.Z" will reflect
the kernel version at the time of the release of the modules package.
Some older modules packages aren't aware of some of the newer modular
features that the kernel now supports.  The current required version
is listed in the file linux/Documentation/Changes.
---

However, kernel-source-2.4.20/Documentation/Changes says:

---
o  modutils               2.4.2                   # insmod -V
---

BUT, given the above paragraph, I would try modutils 2.4.19 IF I had
problems compiling the kernel.

> How did you do your kernel upgrade? If you compiled it by hand did you
> get the sequence of makes correct, and did you remember to do make
> modules_install as root? Do you have either the kernel-headers-2.4.20
> installed or links from /usr/src/linux and
> /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20 to the top of the kernel source tree?
> (Not sure if you actually need both links).
>
> If you did a Debian-style kernel upgrade, sorry, no ideas, I've always
> done it by hand. Someone else probably knows though!

I use the Debian-style make-kpkg, and have no problems using the
following:

modutils 2.4.19-3 (testing)
kernel-source-2.4.20-5 (testing)
kernel-package 8.108 (testing)

in an otherwise mostly woody system.

Of course, if it's not broken, don't fix it!

Regards,

Jaume