Re: dhclient-script, debug-enter, debug-exit

This one time, at band camp, Mark Yobb said:
> Help somebody?  I'm using the most recent stable version of woody.
>
> /etc/dhcp3/dhclients-script
> /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
> /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/debug-enter
> /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks.d/debug-exit
>
> Are not being installed when I install dhcp3-client.  I have
> uninstalled this package and the tried to reinstall it and the files
> are not showing up.
>
> dpkg -L dhcp3-client
>
> shows the files are in this package.
>
> Why are they not being installed?
>
> I first installed dhcp-client and then switched to dhcp3-client.  I
> generally use dselect for installation and uninstallation
> requirements.  I tried using dpkg -i directly from the file on the CD
> but this did not help.

I think that you have been bitten by a not very obvious 'feature' of
dpkg.  One of the worst things an upgrade can do to your program is to
stomp all over your personal configuration, so dpkg has a way to test
the 'state' of config file.  'Absent' is a valid state for a config
file, though, so if config files go missing once, dpkg won't reinstall
thm without being explicitly told.  dpkg -i --force-confmiss deb should
fix it for you.  man dpkg for the gory details.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | I hate trolls.  Maybe I could metamorph |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | it into something else -- like a        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | ravenous, two-headed, fire-breathing    |
|  			         | dragon.   -- Willow                     |