Apt error: Bizarre, file size not what server reported

When I run aptitude to install a program I have been
seeing something like this message:
Apt- error File size is not what server reported.
Bizarre Error.
This is on my Sarge 2.4.18 on a i686 Duron 850
I had inadvertantly moved to unstable and I have
managed to back it down to testing, by adding an
apt.conf file and an etc/apt/preferences, following
along with the suggestions made on the list.
I am googling for this error without good results yet.

Peace be with you.
Dan Hunt