Re: GNOME == bloatware?

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 09:40:08AM +0800, Isaac To wrote:

| > This is why I went back to windowmaker.  I thought gnome looked
| > really cool, but between fixing the breakage caused by fast
| > moving development, bugs, interesting packaging (by debian
| > maintainer and/or Ximian), dependency hell, and the performance,
| > it's just not for me.
|
| For me, the problem is that Gnome = leakware.  The sawfish I've just

Sawfish != Gnome.  Sawfish is completely independent of gnome, but
interoperable with it.

| restarted eats up 26M of virtual memory,

Something must be wrong with your system.  I have sawfish (1.2-3)
here running for 11 days with the following stats :
    Size    RSS     Shared
    4.1K    3.9K    2.1K
I'd call that pretty light.

| and at the same time the gnome-panel I just killed eats up another 30M.

My gnome-panel, 2.0.11-1, has also been running for 11 days :
    Size    RSS     Shared
    9K      7.7K    5.1K

(The RSS is the most important number, "size" can be misleading under
some circumstances, and "shared" means that memory is shared between
other processes using the same shared libraries.)

| After being killed that now sit at 8M and 13M respectively.  Of
| course some of the apps simply shouldn't need that amount of memory,

I agree there!

| like gnome-terminal.  I don't use it, and stay with rxvt, though.

I've been using xterm for a few months now, ever since I discovered
how to make it use a decent font size and colors and handle UTF-8
characters.  gnome-terminal (w/ gnome 1.4) just couldn't handle UTF-8
and I couldn't get gnome2 running at the time.  Now I just like xterm
better.  For comparison purposes xterm weighs in at :
    Size    RSS     Shared
    2.7K    2.7K    1.8K

I currently have 5 instances running, only one has been up for longer
than a couple hours.  Each are within a fraction of a kilobyte of each
other for memory usage.

I've been using gnome since before 1.0.55, but now (with gnome 2) I
use gnome itself less and less.  I find it slow to start up and moving
in directions I don't particularly like (eg the windows registry
clone^W^W^W^Wgconf).  Currently I only use the panel to have handy
application launchers and the workspace switcher applet.  If anyone
has suggestions for replacing either one with a lighter alternative
I'm all for it (and a "session manager" that will keep the X session
alive yet still allow me to restart the window manager at will).

FWIW,
-D

--
A violent man entices his neighbor
and leads him down a path that is not good.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/