Re: Cannot open SCSI driver

Hi!

In spite of a couple of suggestions, I am still trying to put my cdwriter to work :( First of all, make sure that the scsi support is loaded. The output for the dmesg command is:

nostromo:/home/chiappa# dmesg |grep scsi
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro root=306 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi max_scsi_luns=1
ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/56x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

remember that my problem is this message:

nostromo:/home/chiappa# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

Now, after surfed google a little, I am wonder if I have a problem with the /dev/sg0 device. The MAKEDEV manual says that /dev/sg* are used to speak to scsi devices, so...

In a potato system, which runs cdrecord OK, I have the following output to the command "cdrecord -scsnbus /dev/sg0"

dft:/home/chiappa# cdrecord -scanbus /dev/sg0
cdrecord: No tracks allowed with this option
cdrecord: Usage: cdrecord [options] track1...trackn

the command is wrong, but the output proves that cdrecord does interact with the /dev/sg0 device in some way.

In my woody, kernel 2.4.18, system I get for the same command:

nostromo:/home/chiappa# cdrecord -scanbus /dev/sg0
cdrecord: No such device. Cannot open '/dev/sg0'.

cdrecord says that the device doesn exist... but actually, this device does exist:

nostromo:/home/chiappa# ls -l /dev/sg0
crw-------    1 root     root      21,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/sg0

So, I have two questions:

a) does cdrecord use the /dev/sg* devices?
b) why cdrecord can see this device in my system?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini