Re: Memory usage on debian

On Thursday 23 January 2003 16:30, Nils-Erik Svangård wrote:
> Hi
> My system use about 95% of my 512 mb ram, but ps aux and top doesent
> show which process that eats all the memory.
> Can anyone figure out what to do this could be a kernel issue or
> something?
> I use kernel 2.4.21-pre1

What makes you think your memory is used up?
If you issue 'free' and only look at the 'free' - column (I hope
you get what I mean), you may see very little memory left.
But that does not necessarily mean, that all your memory is used
up. Look at the cached column. If this has a considerable amount
of your memory, then that is no reason to worry. Your kernel
simply uses free memory to cache the files you already read.
This memory area can be viewed as beeing free.

HTH, Michael