Re: Error while running apt-get update

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:22:07PM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> writes:
>
> > That's an interesting argument: if the problem is widespread people
> > shouldn't have to do their homework?
>
> Or maybe, the software is buggy.  At the very least, the error
> message should be changed.  Why _should_ people need to tweak this
> value?  (Personally, I find it ironic that the "Dynamic MMap" is
> based off a statically configured value....)

Look:

1) I agree it's a "bug", or at least a poorly designed feature.

2) A bug should be filed if it hasn't been already.  Somehow I don't
get a warm fuzzy that everyone bitching here has bothered to see if
there is a bug and if now, opened one.

3) Even if the bug has been filed 8192 times and fixed for the last
month, everyone running stable is still going to run into this
problem.  Everyone.

The point I'm trying to make is people should do their homework.
Anything less is an abdication of responsibility by the user.  I make
no claims that the software is perfect and shouldn't be fixed - I run
into some sort of bug every week.

  It doesn't matter what you are doing, emacs is always overkill.
          -- Stephen J. Carpenter