Re: Error while running apt-get update

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:56:14AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:22:07PM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> > Or maybe, the software is buggy.  At the very least, the error
> > message should be changed.  Why _should_ people need to tweak this
> > value?  (Personally, I find it ironic that the "Dynamic MMap" is
> > based off a statically configured value....)
>
> Look:
>
> 1) I agree it's a "bug", or at least a poorly designed feature.
>
> 2) A bug should be filed if it hasn't been already.  Somehow I don't
> get a warm fuzzy that everyone bitching here has bothered to see if
> there is a bug and if now, opened one.

It's definitely been filed. apt hasn't been released at all recently,
though.

> 3) Even if the bug has been filed 8192 times and fixed for the last
> month, everyone running stable is still going to run into this
> problem.  Everyone.

Not everyone. As I said somewhere else, I don't believe it affects
people who haven't decided it's a good idea to put multiple
distributions in /etc/apt/sources.list. (Of course, if sarge grows to
two or three times its current size by the time it releases, I guess it
could affect all upgraders ...)