Re: Error while running apt-get update

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 08:19:57PM -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> > On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:08:56PM -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> > > Perhaps the default is set too low, and many people are seeing this
> > > problem for the first time?
>
> Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> writes:
> > That's an interesting argument: if the problem is widespread people
> > shouldn't have to do their homework?  Seems like the more widespread a
> > problem is, the better life on the list would be iff people did their
> > homework _first_.
>
> Actually, I didn't make an argument, just a "perhaps".
>
> If I had made an argument, it would have gone something like this:
>
>   Some people are befuddled by anything new or strange.
>   Rob noticed an increase in questions about this problem.
>   So, maybe more people are stumbling over it lately.

/me mumbles something about pedantry ...

> Most clue-full, clever Debian users will search the list (like I did)
> and find the answer for themselves.  But, there are always going to be
> some people who can't figure it out.  If there are enough of them, the
> problem may become annoying.
>
> In that case, several possible solutions come to mind:
>
>   1) Insult these stupid people, hoping that they will abandon Debian
>   and leave us all alone.

I don't see this happen often.  Then again, I don't think a response
of "search the archive" (or STFW) is rude.  Having been on the
internet for a while, I have thick skin.  Many don't :-)

>   2) Gently teach them how better to solve problems, knowing that
>   tomorrow there will be hundreds more who have not yet learned these
>   valuable lessons.

I thought that's what we were trying to do.

>   3) Change the default to a more reasonable value so the issue
>   doesn't come up so often.

I hate to be Mr. Obvious, but "changing the default" does _no good_
for stable, and stable is, uh, stable for a long time in debian :-)

Stable gets security updates, and that's about it.

> You decide...  ;-)

Cool!  I am the benevolent dictator!

Regards,

  There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can do binary
  arithmetic and those that can't.