Re: Own kernel doesn't work

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:28:24PM +1000, dbalder@pacbrands.com.au wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 10:35:18PM +0100, Michael Schlottke wrote:

[ snip - the old way ]

> Why don't you compile the kernel debian way:
>
> make-kpkg --revision=your.kernel.name.1.0 kernel-image
> dpkg -i your.kernel.name.1.0.deb

Seconded.  While you're at it, install fakeroot and compile the kernel
while logged in as a regular user.

Synopsis:

 # apt-get install fakeroot kernel-package
 # exit
 $ make menuconfig # or whatever
 $ fakeroot make-kpkg clean
 $ fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1 kernel_image

Then use sudo or su to install the image with dpkg.  Note!  The deb
will be in the parent directory (/usr/local/src in my world), NOT in
the kernel-source directory!  This has confused others :-)

  THEY planted The Lone Gunmen to MIND CONTROL the public into seeing
  TRUTH SEEKERS as CONSPIRACY NUTS.