Re: Can't upgrade from slink to woody!

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 23:30:34 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Just guessing, but maybe it's segfaulting because some data or other
> has changed format and is barfing apt.  Thus, "old data" may not
> cause the problems?
>
> Also, maybe it would just be best to do a fresh install, and promise
> yourself that you'll never get so far behind again?

Possibly... it handles my single slink CD OK.

I tried upgrading apt first, but of course it required me to upgrade
the @$?% C libraries... which breaks every other piece of software on
the system... which is why I'd wanted apt to upgrade it all in one
hit, to avoid this, which I'd gathered it could cope with. Maybe I
expect too much.

So I took a deep breath, hid my existing system in a /oldstuff
directory, and installed woody afresh... pretty smooth, congrats to
the Debian team. No real problems apart from some things like exim and
jed changing the syntax and location of their config files, so
transferring my old configs wasn't totally hack-free. Oh yes, and
svgatextmode didn't work properly - the cursor didn't wrap to a new
line when typing in a long command - so I reinstalled the old one.

It's a cloud with a silver lining; it gives me a system which I am
better able to clear of accumulated cruft.

Thanks,
Pigeon