Re: Can't upgrade from slink to woody!

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 08:41:37PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:32:29PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> >
> > This is definitely the recommended option...
> >
> > > Would I not then need a set of Potato CDs? (Doing it over dialup is
> > > not an option...)
> > >
> > > But I can't upgrade to anything if apt-get update is gonna segfault on
> > > me!
> >
> > Upgrade apt and dpkg first, before you try anything else.  apt would
> > have undergone enormouse changes in the, what, 3 years between slink and
> > woody.  Anyhoo, give that a shot...if that still doesn't work (and I'd
> > imagine you'll have further difficulties later on...), upgrade debconf
> > and other important looking things first as well.
>
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 23:30:34 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Just guessing, but maybe it's segfaulting because some data or other
> > has changed format and is barfing apt.  Thus, "old data" may not
> > cause the problems?
> >
> > Also, maybe it would just be best to do a fresh install, and promise
> > yourself that you'll never get so far behind again?
>
> Possibly... it handles my single slink CD OK.
>
> I tried upgrading apt first, but of course it required me to upgrade
> the @$?% C libraries... which breaks every other piece of software on
> the system... which is why I'd wanted apt to upgrade it all in one
> hit, to avoid this, which I'd gathered it could cope with. Maybe I
> expect too much.
>
> So I took a deep breath, hid my existing system in a /oldstuff
> directory, and installed woody afresh... pretty smooth, congrats to
> the Debian team. No real problems apart from some things like exim and
> jed changing the syntax and location of their config files, so
> transferring my old configs wasn't totally hack-free. Oh yes, and
> svgatextmode didn't work properly - the cursor didn't wrap to a new
> line when typing in a long command - so I reinstalled the old one.
>
> It's a cloud with a silver lining; it gives me a system which I am
> better able to clear of accumulated cruft.

The directions you were given to upgrade apt and the problem you
encountered rang a bell so I dug around a bit and found the
information. There were static versions of apt and dpkg in the potato
tree (in debian/dists/potato/main/upgrade-i386/), which were prepared
specifically for upgrading from slink to potato.  The use of these
would have avoided the C library conflict and allowed the system to be
upgraded, although it wouldn't have helped with the old config files
and other cruft.

Bob