Re: Is this normal with USB mice?

Dman, help me out, I am confused :-(

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 07:03:00PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:17:34PM -0600, Jack wrote:
> | My USB mouse only works after I restart X.  After X is restarted,  it
> | works just fine, even when X is restarted without it plugged in.  The
> | touch-pad always works.
> Here's the problem.  When you have no mouse plugged in the device file
> doesn't exist.  Thus X can't open the device file, thus it ignores
> that "bad" part of the configuration.  The solution is for the device
> file to exist even when there is no mouse to read data from.
>
> My current configuration on the laptop is :
>     1)  gpm runs, it reads directly from /dev/misc/psaux (the
>             touchpad) and /dev/input/mice (any and all USB mice)

Yes, I now do this too.  /etc/gpm.conf has append set with
append="-M -m /dev/input/mice"

>     2)  gpm provides a raw repeater as /dev/gpmdata

-M force repeater and default repeater is ms3.  So set /etc/gpm.conf
with

repeat_type=raw

>     3)  X reads from the gpm repeater and directly from
>             /dev/input/mice
???

Is this right?? or typo.  I would say

     3)  X reads from the gpm repeater from /dev/gpmdata (or create
         symlink /dev/mouse pointing /dev/gpmdata and X reads from
         /dev/mouse.)

I do not understand why you try to let USB mouse read by gpm and X at
the same time?  Any special reason exists?

Even if X can not find /dev/input/mice during boot, X get signal from
USB mouse through gpm anyway.

> I can hot plug a USB mouse in the system at any time.  The
> /dev/input/mice file exists even though I don't currently have the USB
> mouse plugged in.

???

> On my desktop at home I have gpm set up identically, but X only reads
> from gpm's repeater.  It works as well without restarting X or gpm,

Yes this looks more normal to me.

> probably because the device file exists even though the USB mouse in
> in the laptop case (and a ps2 mouse is plugged into the desktop).

I am confused.  You mean your desktop PC only have ps2 mouse and USB is
not used on desktop.
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract