Re: Is this normal with USB mice?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:17:34PM -0600, Jack wrote:
| Hi,
|
| My USB mouse only works after I restart X.  After X is restarted,  it
| works just fine, even when X is restarted without it plugged in.  The
| touch-pad always works.
|
| I found this in the log (first X start without USB mouse plugged in)

| (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
| No such device.

Here's the problem.  When you have no mouse plugged in the device file
doesn't exist.  Thus X can't open the device file, thus it ignores
that "bad" part of the configuration.  The solution is for the device
file to exist even when there is no mouse to read data from.

My current configuration on the laptop is :
    1)  gpm runs, it reads directly from /dev/misc/psaux (the
            touchpad) and /dev/input/mice (any and all USB mice)
    2)  gpm provides a raw repeater as /dev/gpmdata
    3)  X reads from the gpm repeater and directly from
            /dev/input/mice

I can hot plug a USB mouse in the system at any time.  The
/dev/input/mice file exists even though I don't currently have the USB
mouse plugged in.

On my desktop at home I have gpm set up identically, but X only reads
from gpm's repeater.  It works as well without restarting X or gpm,
probably because the device file exists even though the USB mouse in
in the laptop case (and a ps2 mouse is plugged into the desktop).

HTH,
-D

--
Micros~1 :