Re: vim and basic .bashrc questions

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:22:35AM +0000, iain d broadfoot wrote:
> * Seneca (seneca-cunningham@rogers.com) wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 04:37:13PM -0800, CM Miller wrote:
> > > Also, I have been able to set .bashrc preferences as
> > > root, like "rm = rm -i".  This works for root, but not
> > > for my user cmmiller.

> however, this is a _BAD_IDEA_.
>
> if you happen to sit down at a machine where this alias is not active,
> and you think it is, guess what happens? :p
>
> iain

quite so. best to make a whole 'nother alias and use that
instead. zap, delete, xx...

	alias xx='rm -i'

then you won't be in the habit of expecing a round of
confirmations when you try 'rm' on someone else's machine.
the worst that'll happen is you get

	$ xx thisfile.ext
	bash: xx: command not found

better than losing a file you really didn't want to delete.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #66 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Do you know WHICH SHELL YOU'RE RUNNING? If not, you can find out:
	ps T
and the first item listed is most likely to be your shell.
(Valid shells are listed in /etc/shells.) The default user shell
for Debian is bash, which you can learn about via "man bash".