vim and basic .bashrc questions

Just started running Debain as few weeks ago, I ran
Redhat for the last two years, and was ready to move
on.

Anyway the install went good and I have two user
accounts, cmmiller and root.

I like to do programming in the Linux environment
cause I love VIM.  I can run VIM as root, but not as
cmmiller.

Also, I have been able to set .bashrc preferences as
root, like "rm = rm -i".  This works for root, but not
for my user cmmiller.

How can I make these changes for cmmiller as well?

thanks

-Chris

=====
"As a taxpayer, why should I support the war against Iraq this time, when it wasn't done right the first time? "