Re: how to determine hd partitioning?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:32:54PM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Matthew Weier O'Phinney <matthew@weierophinney.net> wrote
> (on Sunday, 19 January 2003, 06:30 PM -0500):
> > I had my *newest* computer's motherboard crap out on me
> > Friday night, and I'm trying to grab the data from its hard
> > drive. I've thrown it into my older machine, and it's being
> > recognized fine as /dev/hdd -- but I can't remember its
> > partitioning scheme, and thus don't know what partition(s)
> > to mount and what fs they each use (it had dual-booted
> > windows and debian before, hence the need for both partition
> > and fs-type).
> >
> > How can I determine the drive's partition scheme?

> Thanks to everyone who responded to this -- I was able to see the
> partitioning using fdisk.

and as for figuring which partition was mounted where, once you
find your root partition, locate <mount>/etc/fstab, and it should
answer most of your questions.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #103 from Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org>
:
Trying to CREATE A CRONTAB FOR THE LAST DAY OF THE MONTH?  Best
to put all the logic within the crontab itself (a Good Thing,
since you then only have to look in one place to find it):
	1 0 28-31 * * [ "$(date +%d -d +1day)" -eq "1" ] && /path/to/script args