Maintaining a mixed system

I posted the message below on the Libranet list and got some helpful
replies.  However, I was not sure about a few of the ramications on
suggestions that I got, and I thought I would post it here and see what
help I might get.  Libranet, as probably everybody here knows, is a
specific packaging of Debian.

+     +     +     +     +     +     +     +     +     +     +     +

I am a total noob and I hope this question is not something so obvious
that it's been hammered to death on this list.

I am running stable and I want to stay here.  Life is good on stable.
Everything Just Works, and that's why I came to Linux in the first
place.

However, for a few--a very few--apps, I would like to run versions that
are newer.  I'm not talking a lot here.  Probably Evolution, Galeon,
Abiword, and that's it.  Otherwise I'd like to run everything stable.

Can somebody tell me how to modify my sources.list file to get this
done, and what the command would be to update those particular apps?  At
the moment I have the standard sources.list file that comes with a
Libranet 2.7 install.  Thanks...

Seth Williamson
Floyd, VA