Re: Maintaining a mixed system

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 01:54:56PM -0500, Seth Williamson wrote:
> I posted the message below on the Libranet list and got some helpful
> replies.  However, I was not sure about a few of the ramications on
> suggestions that I got, and I thought I would post it here and see what
> help I might get.  Libranet, as probably everybody here knows, is a
> specific packaging of Debian.
> However, for a few--a very few--apps, I would like to run versions that
> are newer.  I'm not talking a lot here.  Probably Evolution, Galeon,
> Abiword, and that's it.  Otherwise I'd like to run everything stable.

To do this you ahve 2 choices:
1) Upgrade those package and library packages used by them (libc6 retc.)
2) recompile in stable environment.

1) can be done with libranet/debian mix but not simple.  If you knew
how (*See below), you can do it much easily just with debian.
So change sources to debian stable or testing and upgrade :)
Lern to move to debian proper :)  My reference below (Chapter 6 may
help)

2) This is right way but why bother when binary exists :)
-----
* can some one tell exact /etc/apt/preferences for his need?
(Below is my guess and not tested at all)

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: libc6
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: locale
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: galeon
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 60

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract