Re: WAS: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related--NOW, I gave up and went back to Mandrake :-(

Steve Juranich said:

 All you'll
> need to do is  install an alsa package that matches your kernel.
> Actually, the 2.4.19  and above kernels are supposed to support
> this card out of the box, but  I haven't tried it yet.  After
> installing an alsa package, you'll want  to run the alsa
> configurator (I think it's called alsacfg or something  like
> that).

Thanks Steve, I will have to do some searching on this "alsa" you
speak of so I can be ready for my 3rd go at Debian, which really
could be any day.  Having Debian Woody on my computer for nearly a
week has been my record so far!  I have frankly gone overboard in
LinuxLand and just wanted to try everything.  I am REALLY liking
GNOME 2.0, so Debian Sid is going to be very welcome in my home when
it shows up as a stable release!

> Also, there's nothing really wrong with Mandrake (except that it
> uses RPMs).  I used to love RPMs, until I started using apt.  That
> RPM stuff is for monkeys.  It's (usually) not much more difficult
> to just build from source.

I need to learn how to compile from source anyway, but I should
still be able to learn this on Mandrake, but not be forced to do it
until I have time to learn, you know?

> Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it.  If you choose
> Mandrake,  we wish you well.  If you need some help with Debian,
> well, you know  where to come.

Settling on THE distro will not be anything but Debian, Slackware,
or Gentoo, but I have to pay my dues before I even can consider
trying a Gentoo install.  Mandrake is a temporary boot camp to learn
and move on to bigger and better things.  Overall, Debian has been
my favorite, if I can just learn a little more about what makes it
tick.

Thanks again for your input, Steve.  This list is more friendly than
some others, and certainly moreso than some of the forums.

:o}

Scott -sidewalking-