error running apt-get update

Hello.  Yesterday I got the following error when running apt-get update:

Fetched 77.4kB in 33s (2284B/s)
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing libscrollkeeper0 (NewFileVer1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

My system is a mixed bag of woody and sid.  I'm not sure what other
information would be useful here.  My version of libscrollkeeper0 is
Version: 0.3.6-3.1.

Any suggestions how to deal with this would be great.  Oh, and I get the
same error when I run apt-get upgrade, which isn't too surprising.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/