Re: exim and pipe aliases?

    "Robert" == Robert L Harris <Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net> writes:

    Robert> This hit the nail on the head.  Only one problem now.  If
    Robert> I save an email to a "file" and do a:

    Robert> cat <file> |/usr/local/bin/pager as user "nomad" it works
    Robert> great.

    Robert> If I set this to use user nomad and try to run it my logs
    Robert> show:

    Robert> [....deleted much output....]
    Robert> Child process of a ddress_pipe transport returned 255
    Robert> (could mean shell command ended by signal 127 (Unknown
    Robert> signal 127)) fr om command: /usr/local/bin/Pager.pl

I am not familiar with this pager application. Does it produce
anything on standard output? Does it return 0 on exit?

Otherwise pay attention to this part of exim.conf

# This transport is used for handling pipe addresses generated by
# alias or .forward files. If the pipe generates any standard output,
# it is returned to the sender of the message as a delivery error. Set
# return_fail_output instead if you want this to happen only when the
# pipe fails to complete normally.

address_pipe:
  driver = pipe
  path = /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin
  return_output

If you say return_output, any output results will cause delivery to
fail. Also, the manual specifically says that the return value is
checked.

These are just ideas, I have not run exim like this.

Best regards,
Shyamal