Re: DNS hosting

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 01:46:17PM -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> I've been happy with Granite Canyon (http://soa.granitecanyon.com/).
> Their Public DNS Service offers both primary and secondary DNS free of
> charge to anyone who asks.  They solicit donations to cover
> maintenance and administration costs.
>
> I've got a DSL line with a single static IP address.  I run the
> primary DNS server on my home system and use ns[12].granitecanyon.com
> for secondaries.  Works like a charm.  I can edit my zone files
> directly, and they pick up the changes automatically.
>
> The only problem is: they're busy.  Initially, it may take a while to
> register your domain.  Figure on waiting several days before their
> servers know your name.

Can you host DNS servers on a Dynamic IP address?

If I use 'dig domain.com NS' it responds with domain names for name
servers, not IP addresses. So if I am using a dynamic host name
(dyndns.org) to point to my server, will requests follow the name or
the IP?

Reading over what I just wrote, it's pretty ugly, but I can't think of
a better way to explain it...

--
:wq

 Matthew Daubenspeck