Re: network print server

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 07:34:41PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Mike Dresser wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Michael West wrote:
> >
> > >      I have been using samba as a print server at home, but
> > >      I am often mucking around on my debian box, and sometimes this
> > >      results in my wife not being able to print.
>
> i assume the machine PrintServer ( 192.168.1.2 ) has the printer connected
> to it and its running samba for windoze users and its input/output filters
> configured to be able to print various files fmts
> 	lpr *.jpg
> 	lpr *.txt
> 	lpr *.ps
> 	lpr *.anything
>
> 	all should be printable
> 	( i like magicfilter -- and hand-edited printcap files )
>
> - am assuming you have setup samba properly and have defined windoze users
>   with smbpasswd user1
> 	- someone posted a smb.conf a couple days ago
>
> > cat file | telnet ip 9100
> > will quickly print my file.
>
> more simply
>
> pc1#  lpr file.*	( any file format )
>
> linux_pc1  would have its /etc/printcap
> 	#
> 	# print to the remote printer on PrintServer
> 	#
> 	lp|HPrinter:\
> 	        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>        		:rm=192.168.1.2:
> 	#
> 	# end of printcap
>
> linux_pc2#  same printcap   as linux_pc1
>
> windoze# just install a network printer using windoze "printer manager"
>

> and if you're sending fax documents to lots of places around
> the world....
> 	each office in paris, rome, NY, london, tokyo can
> 	have a printer connector to it
>
> 	any_linux_pc#  lpr  -Ptokyo   file_to_print
> 	any_linux_pc#  lpr  -Pnewyork file_to_print
> 	any_linux_pc#  lpr  -Prome    file_to_print
>
> 	- and define ip# so that only certain pc's(gw) can
> 	print to its local printer from some remote office
>
> --- no special hardware needed
>
> c ya
> alvin

     I did not mean that I am having trouble configuring samba/lpd.  I
     enjoy configuring printcap files myself, and like to make physical
     printer appear as as many logical printers as possible.

     But my "mucking around" included activities which take the system
     down.  Sometimes by linux box is unbootable because I am
     experimenting with Grub and Lilo, sometimes I have runaway
     processes making things hang, sometimes lpd itself hangs and has to
     be restarted.  And, of course, I occasionally update or reconfigure
     my kernel or add hardware.  Many of these issues will be resolved
     when I finally get VMware.  All of these events together happen
     rarely, but still my wife is unsure what will happen when she
     clicks her printer icon.

     It is a poor architecture which has a production system dependent on
     a development system ( funny, I have this issue at work as well. )

     Thanks for you response,

          ~Michael